Tailor Made Luxury Holidays to China
China will enthral, excite and amaze you in many ways! The food is heavenly from the classic Peking duck to Sichuanese Hot Pot and Xian’s street food to Shanghai’s Cantonese delights.
China, also called the Middle Kingdom is the largest and one of the most diverse countries in Asia. The modern era of political stability has once again steered the empire into the elite group of global economic superpowers.
At heart, it remains one of the cradles of civilisation having world’s oldest continuous civilisation that dates back to 3,000 BC. Its unique living culture, fascinating ancient traditions, rich history and incredible natural diversity make it a truly extraordinary destination for all, from nature-lovers and adventure seekers to history buffs and gastronomes.
What most people read, see and hear about China is filtered. These days, the term “China” is often associated with large-scale development and industrialisation, exploitation, suppression, pollution, a massive population, wealth and strange food. However, there is a lot more to China than its politics and mammoth cities.
China has the second highest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the world. Its cultural and natural diversity are astounding and with a continuous civilisation dating back to 3,000 BC, it’s an incredibly rewarding and important destination for history buffs with a vast pool of rich architectural and cultural treasures.
Although most travellers focus on the iconic sights in and around Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and Shanghai, smaller towns and remote countryside farther afield offer an incredible array of experiences for those seeking to get away from large crowds and discover the cultural roots of this ancient civilisation. Whether it is:
- Hiking in the Himalayas
- Exploring remote ethnic minority villages
- Taking a relaxing river cruise on the Yangtze up to the awe-inspiring Three Gorges Dam
- Exploring stunning colonial architecture of Gulangu Island and visiting unique Tulou houses of the Hakka community in Fujian province
- Witnessing and even learning traditional martial arts at the 1,500-year old Shaolin Temple in Dengfeng county
China - Beijing
Excellent availability Excellent
Good availability Good
Possible availability Possible
Dry season Dry season
Green season Green season
|When to travel
|Avg Day Temp °C
The Explorations Company, where no two journeys have ever been the same
Where should I go?
China is the most populous country in the world with approximately 1.38 billion inhabitants. In terms of area, it is the third largest country, spread across 9.6 million square kilometres. It shares its boarders with 14 countries and spans from towering rugged mountains in the west and sunken basins and rolling plateaus in the north to a vast 18,000 kilometre coastline and fertile areas in the east and south. The country is blessed with some of the biggest rivers, lakes and mountains in the world.
- For most people, the word “China” conjures images of the legendary Terracotta Warriors, Forbidden City and Great Wall. It is also home to the beloved giant panda, which has turned into a global conservation icon. According to WWF, “it is a living proof that conservation works”!
- Beijing and Shanghai are China’s yin and yang and they represent modern-day China.
- Those interested in history and architecture, Beijing, Xian, Longmen Grottoes in Luoyang, Mogao Caves in Dunhuang, the Tibetan capital of Lhasa and the ancient city of Pingyao are incredible.
- For adventure-seekers, the possibilities are endless from hiking, trekking, cycling, kayaking, horse riding, camping with nomadic tribes in the mountains and viewing Mount Everest from the North Side.
- Art-lovers will be amazed by the incredible variety of contemporary as well as traditional works ranging from painting, pottery and textiles.
- Those interested in landscape and scenery can explore the Tibetan Plateau, hike in the sacred mountains beyond Shangri-la in Yunnan province, see the surreal Karst Mountains along the Li River, explore the breath-taking Dragon’s Backbone Rice Terraces near Guilin and take in the beautiful landscape gardens of Suzhou and fairy-tale landscape of Hangzhou.
- Wildlife lovers can enjoy the company of the famous giant panda near Chengdu and hike in the forested mountains of central and Southwest China in search of the golden snub-nosed monkey.
- The creatively inclined can visit the Dashanzi Art Zone in Beijing with its plethora of galleries and open spaces featuring ground-breaking contemporary art and visit villages around Dali specialising in ancient art forms including watercolour painting, block printing and pottery.
With the rapid development and urbanisation taking place all over the country, it’s more important than ever to visit this fascinating country sooner than later!
A selection of pictures by courtesy of Wild China
The holiday was so enjoyable – lots to chat about. Tikli Bottom is a gem and we were the only guests for our short stay. We loved it there – peaceful and luxurious, and the staff were a delight – especially the cook!
Holiday to India
What an absolutely wonderful time we had in India. Your planning was perfection. Our favourites were Siana (you told us that!) and Kanker Palace…both families were wonderful in totally different ways. Welcomed with open arms we felt as though we were indeed royalty ourselves!
Holiday to India
Just a line to thank you for arranging such a fantastic trip to India for us. It was the experience of a lifetime which we will relive as we sort out our 1000 or so photos! Thank you again. P.S. We saw 4 tigers!
A holiday to India - tiger safari
The trip was a huge success and we saw our Tiger in Chitwan, a long relaxed sighting, sitting in the undergrowth washing his face, quite unperturbed by us.
A holiday to Nepal
I did just want to drop you a note to thank you and your team for looking after us so well over the past couple of weeks.
Holiday to India
Thanks for organizing our Nepal Trip – everything was wonderful. I soon realized why we had to go on these dates as GUN was an excellent guide and naturalist, I don’t know what we would have done without his assistance.
A holiday to Nepal
Just to say thank you for arranging such a wonderful holiday for us. It has been a fascinating experience. Everything worked perfectly and I can say that you gave us more than what you promised on the tin! We will definitely return and will be in touch.
A holiday to Borneo
The trip was overwhelmingly successful in all respects for every one of us. It was a trip of a lifetime and certainly one that will be in our memories forever.
A holiday to India - Rajasthan and wildlife
I just wanted to thank you so much for organising an absolutely amazing trip. We both loved it all and cannot wait to get back to India.
A holiday to Rajasthan
The kids loved Dubai but then when we reached Maldives - Banyan Tree was absolutely marvellous. The spa was fabulous , one of the best massages we have ever had.
Family Holiday to India and Maldives
Words cannot even begin to describe how amazing the trip was. First of all, the arrangements you made went perfectly. We were picked up and dropped off at every city without any glitches.
Family wildlife holiday to India
Thank you for arranging a faultless and memorable holiday in Bhutan. Having travelled quite a lot elsewhere, I can’t think of any holidays where the pluses so greatly exceeded the minuses.
A Holiday to Bhutan
Thanks so much for arranging a holiday which ticked all of the boxes, and which I think did feel appropriately special to my father given the occasion. Very memorable indeed.
A holiday to Bhutan
We had such a wonderful time in India, from the moment we landed in Mumbai we were captivated by the sights and smells.
Safari in India
I'm home safe and sound and finally adjusting to my time zone. Thank you SO much for the bottle of wine in Kathmandu and the gorgeous flowers that arrived today. How very thoughtful. No other tour company has ever done something like this before!
Holiday to India and Nepal
All in all, a fantastic trip. Thank you very much for all your help in making this happen – much appreciated!
Tiger & Photgraphic Safari in India
Take the first step on your extraordinary journey to China
The Explorations Company
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore – Dream – Discover - Mark Twain - You can view clips of some of our own favourite discoveries here.
100% Tailor Made
- Utterly designed and tailored around you and your requirements
- Totally unique every time you travel with us
- We use only the very best hand picked guides which can make the difference between a good holiday and an outstanding one
- Established over 27 years ago we have been around longer than most
- Our specialists come from, have lived in or travelled extensively in the regions we cover
- Unparalleled knowledge provides you with the best possible experience
Making a difference
- Philanthropy is our philosophy
- Our founding principle is to always ‘put something back’
- An amount from each holiday is donated to our selected conservation and humanitarian charities
What Do Our Clients Say?
‘Greetings. this has turned out to be a paradise in so many ways....so a big thank you from us.
Wonderful support from your company over here....we were met at the airport (with flowers!!!!!) and introduced to our personal guide who is fabulous. Can't get over the attention to detail ....cool flannels, chilled water, fresh juice on arrival, bag full of thoughtful goodies for our trip, wonderful rooms with bathrooms bigger than our bedroom at home(!) and we were upgraded to a suite and as I write we are listening to tropical birdsong as we look out over the lagoon from our balcony. Wow!!!!!
I could go on but I'll spare you.
Thanks a million
Judy and Mike’
Our Guarantees To You
Premium service from one of the world's most knowledgeable travel companies
24/7 contact number
Your holiday is fully protected by the Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992
Flight-Inclusive Bonding: We are licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority and hold ATOL Number 7159
Flight-Exclusive bonding: Your holiday is further protected by our membership of ABTOT Membership Number 5197