Segera Safari Retreat, Laikipia Plateau, Kenya
Segera Retreat is a wildlife sanctuary that offers utmost luxury amidst natural beauty, alongside personal enrichment from conscientious, sustainable safari travel. This is unique oasis which boasts spectacular views of the surrounding savannah, where wildlife populations and habitats are being conserved on mostly private and communal lands.
Segera provides the ultimate in Kenyan safari experiences
With Mount Kenya as the backdrop and views over the Laikipia Plateau, Segera Retreat is an extraordinary haven of beauty in Kenya. The nearby natural springs attract herds of elephant, buffalo, giraffe, warthog and many other native species throughout the year.
Here you will find all the usual safari activities, as well as some quirky and unique surprises that will amaze and astound you:
- Undertake game drives and bush walks with your expert guides and scouts, and spend time with the anti-poaching team and tracker dogs to learn more about the complexities of conservation.
- Visit the neighbouring community in a completely natural and uncontrived manner, meet the ladies that make beautifully beaded jewellery, or perhaps for children, play a game of soccer with the local football team.
- Take breath-taking helicopter flights showcasing the expanse and contrast of the country, swooping over Samburu and around Mount Kenya or further afield.
- Enjoy the contemporary art placed carefully throughout Segera and in their own art gallery in the stables, all from the Zeitz Collection. It is considered one of the leading collections of contemporary art from Africa and the Diaspora in the world today and comprises major works of paintings, sculpture, video and installation by prominent artists.
- Explore the Wine Tower with its distinct beaded collar, which is meaningfully designed according to the 4C principles and even has a rainwater collection tank in it’s foundations! It houses vast collections of wines from Africa and champagnes from France, cooled by solar energy. Choose a bottle to accompany your meal or even have a special evening meal for two within the tower itself, which provides the perfect ambiance, cool temperatures and beautiful chandeliers!
- Relax in their salt-water pool or unwind in the Wellness Centre which offers a variety of luxurious holistic treatments and therapies. Enjoy the Rasul Steam Tower or work out in their state-of-the-art gymnasium.
- Take a flight over the landscape in GAAMY, the original plane used in the Oscar-winning Out Of Africa film.
- Don’t miss the chance to sleep out under the stars in the Nay Palad Star Bed.
What accommodation is available at Segera?
Segera is comprised of several garden villas and three private safari houses surrounded by unspoiled African landscape. We recommend staying in one of the luxurious private villas for the most extraordinary experience in the privacy of your own ‘home from home’:
Villa Segera has multiple views across the river and waterhole and is perfect for couples or small families seeking privacy. There are two, octagonally-shaped en-suite bedrooms raised on stilts connected by a suspended walkway. Beneath the rooms there are open-air living spaces and a private pool.
Segera House is a grand, two-story house with three huge en-suite bedrooms and an open-plan lounge. It is elegant and has a relaxed feel, with plenty of space for a multi-generational family or a group of three couples travelling together.
The Farmhouse is the original ranch homestead which has been transformed into a contemporary family safari home with three bedroom. The rooms open onto a canopied outdoor lounge and private pool. There is also an extra single bedroom that can accommodate an additional guest or nanny. You can see giraffe visit from the garden each day and watch spectacular sunrises over Mount Kenya, all from your own private space.
You can also sleep out under the stars in complete luxury at the spectacular Nay Palad Bird Nest, a raised nest out in the bush with an indoor en-suite bedroom and a rooftop bed. Arrive to a picnic style dinner and candle-lit drinks before sleeping under the skies and waking to dawn.
Where is Segera located?
Kenya's Segera Retreat is in the heart of the Laikipia Plateau which is nestled between the glorious Mount Kenya to the east and the Great Rift Valley to the west and on an important migratory corridor within the Ewaso ecosystem that offers fantastic biodiversity.
How does Segera protect wildlife and support the community?
The Segera lifestyle, focused around 'Conservation, Community, Culture and Commerce' - the 4Cs - is carefully designed to inspire your soul as much as your senses while promoting practices that impact the environment and the community in positive ways
The Zeitz Foundation was created by Segera’s owner Jochen Zeitz and is supported by each guest at Segera through their booking. As a guest you can also take an active approach by visiting the many varied projects that they run as a part of your safari, to a project that fits with your own interests.
The Foundation implements a holistic approach to achieving long-term sustainable management of the ecosystem. Sustainable tourism is leveraged to make a real difference! As a part of your safari, we encourage you to visit a selection of their initiatives and continue to support them on your return. There is no end of projects to choose from so you can select something that speaks to you personally, which might range from:
- Conservation of the endangered species including lion and elephant,
- Anti-poaching, wildlife monitoring and community scout units,
- Reforestation projects,
- Community commerce initiatives and the SATUBO women’s beading group,
- Water and habitat management projects,
- Community education, football academy and environmental education centre
- Sustainable energy through solar LED lights in the community
- Sustainable rainwater harvesting for domestic water supply
- Beekeeping for environmental and habitat protection
- The award-winning Waterbank School buildings which harvest clean rainwater for students and their families, reducing disease and malnutrition and allowing increased gender equality as more girls can be educated when liberated from their water collection duties.
Please do feel free to get in touch for more information about private villas for a safari in Kenya, or information on how you can support Segera’s deserving philanthropic projects.
Video by kind courtesy of Segera, and images by Crookes&Jackson