It's far greater size and fifty year Communist project are just two of the more obvious differentiators from its more diminutive neighbours. The sheer physical beauty of the island, the warmth of the Cubans themselves, the throbbing beat of salsa, the complex plot of tropical communism all make for a heady cocktail. But a word of warning - Cuba's seductiveness is hard to resist and rarely is one visit quite enough.
Cuba and her story is familiar to us all through Che Guevara and Fidel, the Bay of Pigs, cigars, vintage cars, mohitos, Buena Vista Social Club and Ernest Hemingway. Yet as enduring as these stereotypes are they miss the real Cuban story.
A country in transition - a 50 year old communist dictatorship tentatively loosening the country's bindings and even re-engaging with its old adversary just across the water, who sought to assassinate Fidel Castro over 600 times. Cuba still doesn’t have the Internet, but a country at long last encouraging individual free enterprise and whose well of artistic talent is being given full rein.
It's heady times for Cuba and Cubans alike, who have been patiently waiting literally decades for this opportunity, and are now firmly grasping it with both hands. Go now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore – Dream – Discover - Mark Twain - You can view clips of some of our own favourite discoveries here.
- Utterly designed and tailored around you and your requirements
- Totally unique every time you travel with us
- The very best hand picked guides which can make the difference between a good and an outstanding holiday
- Established over 30 years ago we have been around longer than most
- Our specialists come from, have lived in or travelled extensively in the regions we cover
- Unparalleled knowledge provides you with the best possible experience
- Philanthropy is our philosophy
- Our founding principle is to always ‘put something back’
- An amount from each holiday is donated to our selected conservation and humanitarian charities
By Marcela Kunova - 20th April 2017
Nicola Shepherd, founder and CEO of The Exploration Company, organises unusual trips for HNW and UHNW clients ranging from birthday parties at an Indian Maharajah's palace to reliving Sir Vivian Fuchs's 1950s expedition to the South Pole. Citywealth caught ...
Premium service from one of the world's most knowledgeable travel companies
24/7 contact number
Your holiday is fully protected by the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
Flight-Inclusive Bonding: We are licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority and hold ATOL Number 7159
Flight-Exclusive bonding: Your holiday is further protected by our membership of ABTOT Membership Number 5197