Inspired by a deep love and understanding of the African bush, the Xigera guides are led by legendary wildlife and conservation expert Mike Myers. With over 40 years of experience, he has brought together a team with great experience and knowledge, revealing a truly authentic safari experience, and allowing you to have an enriching and educational way of discovering this majestic corner of the Okavango. Mike’s knowledge of the Delta has also enabled him to oversee the immense build of Xigera, an architectural project that is ground-breaking in its scope and vision.
Opened in 2020, it is surrounded by deep channels and lush vegetation within a remote area of the productive Moremi Game Reserve. For much of the year this magnificent area epitomises the permanently flooded areas of the Okavango Delta, with palm-filled islands, riverine forests, interwoven channels, and expansive floodplains.
Xigera is a true water camp. This is the land of the sitatunga antelope and Pel's fishing-owl. Waterbirds are seen in large numbers including rufous-bellied heron and the secretive white-backed night-heron. You may be surprised by the presence of lion, leopard, hyaena and buffalo as they wade and swim between islands in search of food.
Why do we love Xigera Safari Lodge?
With 105 staff members and just 24 guests, Xigera offers a truly personal, unique, and memorable safari experience. Xigera is renowned for its thoughtful service and generous hospitality and the team led by Mike and Marian Myers, is empowered to ensure that you feel special, cared for and welcome.
- Fully absorb the sights and sounds of the Okavango Delta
- Dine at leisure under the stars by candlelight to sounds of gently rippling water
- Relax in the spa or simply contemplate life from the sanctuary of the yoga pavilion
- Sleep out in the Baobab Treehouse, yours exclusively for the night
- Breakfast, lunch, or an intimate picnic in the bush
- ‘Feet-in-the-water’ sundowners cocktails
- Private yoga sessions; Spa treatments; a 1-night Baobab Treehouse Sleepout for 2 adult guests, subject to availability and weather permitting and scenic helicopter flights
Where is Xigera Safari Lodge located?
Resting on the western edge of the Moremi Game Reserve, overlooking the verdant floodplains of the Okavango Delta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Xigera has the gift of offering remarkable experiences both on land and on the water.
The Lodge sits lightly on the earth, elevated elegantly above the waterways and protecting the pristine environment, with magnetic views through every opening. Awake each morning to perfect views of the breath-taking floodplains and listen as the bush comes to life.
Birdsong and the rustle of passing wildlife – or even the distant roar of a lion – signals the start of each day’s new adventure, allowing you to connect and be in harmony with nature. The guides share a deep knowledge of the African bush with you, from details about the minute Malachite Kingfisher to the majestic elephants migrating across the wetland.
What sort of accommodation is available at Xigera Safari Lodge?
Gently undulating architecture and scorched timber cladding blends seamlessly with the surroundings, while the meticulously designed interiors by Toni Tollman, in collaboration with Southern Guild gallery, are a vibrant reflection of the landscape, featuring exceptional one-off works by Africa’s most globally recognised artists.
Every piece of furniture, each surface, every object has been exquisitely crafted, from the walnut four-poster beds draped in a hand-loomed throw created exclusively for each room by African Jacquard, to over-scaled karakul wool and jute rugs by Coral & Hive, a hand painted Dokter and Misses Kassena cabinet, a Charles Haupt Num-Num bronze table and a pair of Atang Tshikare ceramic plinths.
- 12 luxurious air-conditioned suites, including one two-bedroomed Family Suite, offering perfect privacy and expansive Okavango views
- Magnificent suites offer 184 square-metres (1980-square-feet) of living space, including airy bedrooms, dressing room area, separate lounge, and private outdoor terrace
- Secluded outdoor decks feature peaceful outdoor gazebos and king-size daybeds for quiet moments, and quality family time in nature
- Spacious bathrooms offer both indoor and outdoor showers, with freestanding baths overlooking the Okavango wilderness
- Modern amenities include flat-screen TV, Wi-Fi access and in-room safe
Are children welcome at Xigera Safari Lodge?
As the camp is not particularly suited to very young children there is a minimum age of 12 years with a full adult rate charged. Children aged between 12 and 16 must share a suite with one adult, with no children under the age of 13 permitted to go on walking safaris and mokoro activities.
What activities are available at Xigera Safari Lodge?
One-of-a-kind activities are carefully tailored for yourself, specific interests, and timings, from exploring the bush on a thrilling photographic game drive with our resident wildlife photographer Mike Myers, or on foot with the wonderful guides, to discovering the Okavango’s most remote waterways by boat, culminating in feet-in-the-water sundowners.
The traditional mokoro is glass-bottomed and undeniably unique in the Delta, allowing you to drift gently across serene lagoons, surrounded on both sides by open floodplains extending as far as the eye can see, while fish flicker below among the river plants.
- Flexible approach to 4x4 safari drives, offering freedom for you to curate your own safari experience
- Memorable excursions on unique glass-bottomed mokoros, led by expert local guides with intimate knowledge of the Okavango Delta
- Thrilling motorboats safaris on custom-built game-viewing boat with elevated spotting deck
- Bespoke wilderness experiences, including focused photographic safaris and extended bush walks
- Memorable dining, from bush breakfasts and wild picnics to ‘feet in the water’ sundowners
- Sleep out under the stars - in perfect safety - atop the remarkable 10-metre Baobab Treehouse
- Catch-and-release angling for endemic species (in-season only)
- Unforgettable aerial perspectives with sightseeing by helicopter
- Sunrise yoga, meditation, and mindfulness sessions on the spa deck, or in the privacy of a suite
When is the best time to visit Xigera Safari Lodge?
Botswana’s winter is May to August when the weather is dry and cold at night, warm during the day. September through December produces hot days and warm nights, October and November are particularly hot but offer great wildlife viewing. Botswana's summer months (November to April) can be hot and sometimes humid and there is a chance of rain. Botswana has one rainy season which runs between mid-December and runs through to mid-March, and this is also bird nesting season and when baby antelope are being born amidst wildflowers and taller grasses. This time of the year has wonderful sunsets.
Environmental and social responsibility
Xigera is deeply committed to caring for our wildlife and local communities and strive to tread lightly wherever they go. In partnership with The TreadRight Foundation, Xigera is fully solar-powered and single-use plastic-free and are proud that no bricks or concrete were used in construction, with the interiors sourced almost entirely in Africa. They are proud of their Reverse Osmosis process which enables you and staff to safely drink the water from their taps. They encourage you to join them on their conservation journey to safeguard this precious landscape for generations to come.