Home to China’s dearest icon - the Giant Panda!
Chengdu is home to one of China’s cutest and dearest icons - the Giant Panda!
According to the WWF, the giant panda is the most powerful symbol in the world when it comes to species conservation and its success story proves that conservation works!
The Sichuan province houses 80% of the world’s population of this extremely rare and threatened member of the bear family.
Chengdu is the largest city in Western China and is one of the country’s fastest growing cities. Its incredible history goes back over 4,000 years and the world’s first printed bank notes came from the city’s presses.
Highlight experiences include:
- Visit to a traditional tea house where you may be offered an ear-cleaning, a common local custom
- Sichuanese opera show which highlights the art of rapid face-changing
- Sichuan hot-pot, full of spicy red chillies and mouth-tingling peppercorn- a must for the gastronomes! Chengdu is Asia’s first UNESCO City of Gastronomy
- Exploring the old quarter filled with traditional mansions, fascinating shops and interesting temples, especially in the Wide Lanes Narrow Lanes enclave
- Jinsha Museum and Sanxingdui Museum featuring most fascinating archaeological discoveries in recent times
- Hiking along the ancient pilgrimage routes in the sacred Qing Cheng Mountains, an important centre of Taoism in China
- Dujiangyan Irrigation System- the oldest and largest irrigation system in the world built in 256 BC
Excellent availability Excellent
Good availability Good
Possible availability Possible
Dry season Dry season
Green season Green season
|When to travel
|Avg Day Temp °C
The Explorations Company, where no two journeys have ever been the same
The holiday was so enjoyable – lots to chat about. Tikli Bottom is a gem and we were the only guests for our short stay. We loved it there – peaceful and luxurious, and the staff were a delight – especially the cook!
Holiday to India
What an absolutely wonderful time we had in India. Your planning was perfection. Our favourites were Siana (you told us that!) and Kanker Palace…both families were wonderful in totally different ways. Welcomed with open arms we felt as though we were indeed royalty ourselves!
Holiday to India
Just a line to thank you for arranging such a fantastic trip to India for us. It was the experience of a lifetime which we will relive as we sort out our 1000 or so photos! Thank you again. P.S. We saw 4 tigers!
A holiday to India - tiger safari
The trip was a huge success and we saw our Tiger in Chitwan, a long relaxed sighting, sitting in the undergrowth washing his face, quite unperturbed by us.
A holiday to Nepal
I did just want to drop you a note to thank you and your team for looking after us so well over the past couple of weeks.
Holiday to India
Thanks for organizing our Nepal Trip – everything was wonderful. I soon realized why we had to go on these dates as GUN was an excellent guide and naturalist, I don’t know what we would have done without his assistance.
A holiday to Nepal
Just to say thank you for arranging such a wonderful holiday for us. It has been a fascinating experience. Everything worked perfectly and I can say that you gave us more than what you promised on the tin! We will definitely return and will be in touch.
A holiday to Borneo
The trip was overwhelmingly successful in all respects for every one of us. It was a trip of a lifetime and certainly one that will be in our memories forever.
A holiday to India - Rajasthan and wildlife
I just wanted to thank you so much for organising an absolutely amazing trip. We both loved it all and cannot wait to get back to India.
A holiday to Rajasthan
The kids loved Dubai but then when we reached Maldives - Banyan Tree was absolutely marvellous. The spa was fabulous , one of the best massages we have ever had.
Family Holiday to India and Maldives
Words cannot even begin to describe how amazing the trip was. First of all, the arrangements you made went perfectly. We were picked up and dropped off at every city without any glitches.
Family wildlife holiday to India
Thank you for arranging a faultless and memorable holiday in Bhutan. Having travelled quite a lot elsewhere, I can’t think of any holidays where the pluses so greatly exceeded the minuses.
A Holiday to Bhutan
Thanks so much for arranging a holiday which ticked all of the boxes, and which I think did feel appropriately special to my father given the occasion. Very memorable indeed.
A holiday to Bhutan
We had such a wonderful time in India, from the moment we landed in Mumbai we were captivated by the sights and smells.
Safari in India
I'm home safe and sound and finally adjusting to my time zone. Thank you SO much for the bottle of wine in Kathmandu and the gorgeous flowers that arrived today. How very thoughtful. No other tour company has ever done something like this before!
Holiday to India and Nepal
All in all, a fantastic trip. Thank you very much for all your help in making this happen – much appreciated!
Tiger & Photgraphic Safari in India
Take the first step on your extraordinary journey to Chengdu
The Explorations Company
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour and catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore – Dream – Discover - Mark Twain - You can view clips of some of our own favourite discoveries here.
100% Tailor Made
- Utterly designed and tailored around you and your requirements
- Totally unique every time you travel with us
- The very best hand picked guides which can make the difference between a good and an outstanding holiday
- Established over 30 years ago we have been around longer than most
- Our specialists come from, have lived in or travelled extensively in the regions we cover
- Unparalleled knowledge provides you with the best possible experience
Making a difference
- Philanthropy is our philosophy
- Our founding principle is to always ‘put something back’
- An amount from each holiday is donated to our selected conservation and humanitarian charities
Explore with The Explorations Company
By Marcela Kunova - 20th April 2017
Nicola Shepherd, founder and CEO of The Exploration Company, organises unusual trips for HNW and UHNW clients ranging from birthday parties at an Indian Maharajah's palace to reliving Sir Vivian Fuchs's 1950s expedition to the South Pole. Citywealth caught ...
Our Guarantees To You
Premium service from one of the world's most knowledgeable travel companies
24/7 contact number
Your holiday is fully protected by the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018
Flight-Inclusive Bonding: We are licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority and hold ATOL Number 7159
Flight-Exclusive bonding: Your holiday is further protected by our membership of ABTOT Membership Number 5197