Holidays to the subcontinent have been a great passion at the Explorations Company for many years. It is so diverse geographically and culturally that no two trips can ever be the same. One thing is certain, though, that from the Himalayan foothills to the pristine backwaters of Kerala, the natural beauty of its landscape is unrivalled.
The much smaller island of Sri Lanka offers an equally diverse landscape to discover, with incredible cultural sites not be missed. So you can either spend three weeks delighting in the rich and varied textiles from the deserts of western India to the mountains of Nepal and Bhutan or perhaps more enjoyably, throw in a bit of wildlife, culture and relaxation. There are few other regions that can offer such superlative options.
If you do have a particular interest in say, textiles or miniature paintings or Deccan architecture, classical dance, tribal music or any other special area; or you are someone who likes to probe deeper into the culture and history of the area you are in, tarry longer at special places, wander on foot into areas that most tourists or even locals have never heard of; visit the ateliers of craftsmen and artists; take a by-road to visit a school of dance or a community of Sanskrit scholars – for that level of interest we design the itineraries differently, engage specialist guides and arrange meetings with scholars or experts.
While this is all often easier for groups, if you are an individual traveler let us know your area of interest, check out the possibilities below and give us a call.
- Classic South, Chennai (Madras), Mammalapuram, Pondicherry, Tanjore, Chettinad, Madurai, Cardamom Hills, Kerala Backwaters, Cochin.
- Textile Tour, Kutch, Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Delhi
- Rajasthan & the Taj Mahal, Delhi, Agra, Samode Palace, Nawalgarh, Bikaner, Nagaur, Rohet, Bundi, Ranakpur, Udaipur.
- The Ruins of Empire – Cities and Temples of the Deccan: Hyderabad, Hampi, Halebid & Bellur, Bangalore, Mysore, Ooty, Madras (Chennai).
- Central India – Tribal Kingdoms and ancient cities, Bastar, Kawardha, Bhopal, Maheshwar & Mandu.
- Ajanta & Ellora and the Portuguese legacy.
- Kashmir & Ladakh, Srinagar and houseboats, Kargil & Buddhist Ladakh.
- Bhutan, Thimphu, Gangtey, Bhumthang, Trongsa, Punakha, Paro.
- Sri Lanka, Colombo, Anuradhapura, Dambulla & Sigiriya, Kandy, Tea Factory Nuwara Eliya & Galle.